Motivate your Very Important Participants to become Virtuoso Instrument Players!
Avoid the musical progress plateau with your participants by motivating and challenging them with an exclusive VIP Band program opportunity (for those who want it). Each week, Junior band participants (age 10-13) and Senior band participants (age 14-18) participate in exclusive workshops and programs that help build mastery in their chosen instrument. Participants receive weekly instrument workshops, theory courses, music technology experiences and build strong bonds with their peers in an ensemble. VIP Band ensembles are also given higher stakes performance opportunities in your organization or in the community, giving them a sense of pride in their hard work and dedication.
Participation in the VIP Band Program is divided into two groups and is typically limited to no more than 15-20 participants for each band:
- Junior Band: ages 10-13
- Senior Band: ages 14-18
Each week, VIP Band participants commit to participating core music program elements, which may include:
- Instrument Workshop (of their choice)
- Take at least one instrument workshop per semester taught by Music Program staff
- Track weekly attendance (communicated with parents)
- Musical Knowledge
- Apply rhythm and notation basics to their chosen instrument
- Compose an original 16-32 bar song by the end of each semester
- Music Technology
- Participate in a weekly Music Technology activity such as: “Sound alike” projects, iPad beat making, Recording Studio sessions
- Record an original song with distinct “A” and “B” sections by the end of each semester
- Apply musical knowledge in a band
- Learn rehearsal and performance techniques
- Perform in one Open Mic night by the end of the semester
Tracking VIP participants’ progress:
- Create a poster board tracking sheet (see example below)
- Participants get a stamp in the category activity they’ve completed each week. Visually displaying progress is motivational to the participants.
- VIP’s must have 3 stamps at the end of each week, 12 stamps at the end of each month
Sample VIP Band Incentives:
- First to know about concert tickets, field trips
- Prioritized Recording Session time
- High profile performance opportunities (galas, fundraisers, community events, etc.
- Opportunities for music video shoot
- Monthly rewards, raffles, prizes
- Music books, lyric books, pick necklaces, VIP-only party (ice cream, movie night)
- Raffle: Big prize could be Guitar Center gift card or iTunes gift card
Page 1 of 2
|To download a full, editable version||
Explore similar resources in Instrument Workshops